How to apply
In advance of your application, you should contact our Academic Director, Dr Christoph Schneider (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) with an initial research proposal. Also you should indicate which potential supervisor you would like to work with on your research.
Dr Christoph Schneider – Academic Director
I am supervising PhD theses in Systematic and Philosophical Theology:
- Orthodox Theology and Continental Philosophy
- Faith and Reason
- Metaphysics of the Between
- Russian Religious Philosophy, esp. P.A. Florensky
- Philosophy of Language/Semiotics
- Dialogue between Orthodox and Protestant Theology (esp. K. Barth, E. Jüngel)
- Dialogue between Orthodoxy and ‘Radical Orthodoxy’
Dr Razvan Porumb – Lecturer / Vice-Principal
Dr Porumb accepts proposals for PhD projects in Ecumenism and Ecumenical Theology, Practical and Pastoral Theology, Christian spirituality, Theology and Literature.
Dr Ralph Lee – Research Associate
Dr Lee accepts proposals for PhD projects on the following topics: Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, the interaction between Orthodox and other Christian expressions in Ethiopia and worldwide, traditional bible interpretation in Ethiopic and Syriac traditions, the Jewish Matrix and the relationship between Second Temple Judaism and early Christianity, the influence of Second Temple texts such as 1Enoch on the New Testament and early Christian thought.
Please also go to Visiting Professors/Lecturers, Core Staff and Research Affiliates for potential secondary supervisors in your chosen field of Theology. Also please visit our Research Centre page for relevant research in your chosen field.
One of the supervisors listed above will have to act a primary supervisor for your proposed field of research – provided your research interests suit those of the supervisors. Once you have identified a potential supervisor from among our core staff and have been in touch with our Academic Director with an outline of your proposed research, please complete this application form.
Please only complete and send the application form after having been in touch with our staff. You will then need to provide the following as part of your application:
- your outline research proposal
- a copy of the original transcripts of your results
- a copy of your degree certificate(s)
- two references on letter headed paper, signed and dated. If you’re applying for an MPhil or PhD, please supply two academic references to support your application. If you’re applying for a Professional Doctorate (DBA, EdD and DProf), please supply one academic and one professional reference
- a photocopy of your passport, including the photograph and personal details page(s). International applicants living in the UK must also provide photocopies of visa and immigration stamps.
We will invite you to attend an interview with our academic staff before making an offer.
There is no deadline for applications, but we do recommend submitting your application to us at least one month before your proposed start date. The doctoral programme starts in September, January, April and June.